Stuck for a vegan Christmas recipe that you can serve all of your guests without them feeling like they’re missing out? Well this recipe is not only vegan, it’s also gluten-free and MUCH lower fat that a traditional Christmas day dessert – so you can keep on top of all your fitness goals whilst still enjoying yourself.
There are a wealth of new products out there to enhance any vegan Christmas recipe too from single soya cream to soya custard and even ice cream so get a good range in to please everyone. I stuck with a high protein vegan yoghurt to make this vegan Christmas recipe super-healthy but replace with whatever you desire.
Vegan Christmas Baked Apples Recipe (Serves 2)
2 large apples (I used Braeburn but any large apple will do)
2-3tbsp luxury mince pie filling (check different brands for their suitability for vegans)
1tbsp coconut oil
3tbsp chunky organic oats
Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
1tsp granulated sweetener of choice
1tbsp Alpro soya Go On High protein yoghurt
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the core from the apples apples carefully using a long-bladed knife…or a proper corer if you have one! You should be left with a hole through the middle of each apple. Cut the top off each apple to give you a flat surface for your crumble mix to sit on later.
- Loosely wrap the base of the apples in tin foil then drizzle with maple syrup, stuff the cores with the mince pie filling and add the water into the foil to give the apples a helping hand cooking.
- Pop into the oven for 20 minutes or until the apples have softened nicely, if unsure, poke a knife in to test.
- Whilst the apples are cooking make the crumble mix by melting together the coconut oil , maple syrup and sweetener until completely liquid. Add in the oats and stir until the oats are completely covered in the oil/maple mix.
- Once the apples have cooked, turn the oven down to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Pile the crumble mix on top of the apples and pop back into the oven until golden brown (~10 minutes), watch closely as it burns very easily!
- Serve with a dollop of good quality, high protein soya yoghurt (or ice cream or custard if you fancy a treat) and a final drizzle of maple syrup.
Like our recipes? Had a go at making them yourself? We’d love to see! Why not tag us on social media @polefitandflexy or post to our Facebook page. You never know – we might even feature your picture. Happy festive baking!