Veganuary is upon us – the month where we’re persuaded to try a completely plant-based diet to help combat climate change and animal cruelty. I’m not vegan, nor will I ever be with the fact I’m unable to eat most pulses and beans, but I do try and make swaps where I can to help reduce my impact on the planet. Swapping to soya milk where possible, using different plant proteins in my snack bars and porridge (the Nutristrength vanilla pea protein was a fab addition the other day!) and replacing some meat with Quorn.
If you’ve never tried going vegan and you’re looking for a recipe to ease you in gently then give this vegan apple turnover recipe a go – you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the coconut cream and the parcels themselves taste amazing. Quick to make. perfect for picnics, evening entertaining, a weekend treat and even stunning as a dinner party dessert, there is no excuse not to love them!
Vegan Apple Turnover Recipe (Makes 4)
2 large apples (I used Braeburn)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sultanas
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
1 tbsp Flaked almonds
2 sheets of Filo pastry
1 egg, beaten or melted coconut oil to assemble
More flaked almonds and granulated sucralose (or xylitol/sugar) to garnish
2 tbsp coconut cream (hard stuff from the top of a can of coconut milk), whipped OR I used cream cheese as that’s what I had in the fridge
3 vanilla Flavdrops (or other sweetener of choice)
1. Pre-heat an oven to 200ºC
2. Peel, core and chop each apple into large chunks (I got about 12/16 out of each apple).
3. In a large pan, melt together the coconut oil, lemon juice and honey/maple syrup.
4. Add in the apple chunks and sultanas with a dash of water and cook until the apples are soft but not falling apart.
5. Add the flaked almonds and cinnamon and stir thoroughly before removing from the heat.
6. Cut the filo pastry sheets in half lengthways so that you have 4 long strips of pastry.
7. Pile ¼ of the apple mix into a corner of the filo sheet, egg wash (or use melted coconut oil) around the edge before folding over to form a triangle shape, egg wash remaining unfolded pastry and keep folding as demonstrated in the image below, ensuring there are no gaps through which the filling can leak out.
8. Once sealed, place the parcel on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper
9. Once all parcels are wrapped and on the tray, eggwash the tops before dusting with flaked almonds and granulated sucralose or other sweetener of choice.
10. Bake for 10 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
11. Whip the cream cheese/coconut cream up with the Flavdrops and cinnamon.
12. Allow the pastries to cool slightly before serving with the vanilla cream. Enjoy!
Like Pole Fit & Flexy’s recipes? Be sure to ‘Like’ the Pole Fit & Flexy Facebook page to keep up to date with all the latest recipes, offers, discount codes and news!