I’m finally getting to the end of my PhD but that means more time spent at home writing my thesis rather than being on my feet in the lab, therefore, I rely on great, healthy but tasty snacks to keep me going. Today whilst on the bus home I though up this paleo oatmeal cookie recipe and, not only did it work (much to my surprise – not many recipes turn out perfect first time!) but these were SO quick and easy to make that I didn’t waste much thesis-writing time either!
The paleo oatmeal cookie recipe was designed for one of my clients who has done so well on her paleo diet plan that her pre-diabetes is back under control – a massive achievement, making these cookies the perfect way to celebrate! They are low-sugar and instead use vitafiber, a low-calorie, high-fibre, natural sweetener with a low GI value. You can add this stuff to pretty much anything as a sugar and/or flour substitute although the chewy texture you get when baking isn’t always desirable so use it with caution! It does give these paleo oatmeal cookies the perfect texture and just the right amount of sweetness.
Paleo Oatmeal Cookie Recipe (Makes 4)
1 tsp coconut oil
3 heaped tsp organic crunchy peanut butter
1 tsp honey
3 scoops (~50g) Vitafiber powder (I got mine from Bulk Powders)
1 large egg white
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. sultanas
3 tbsp. porridge oats
- Preheat an oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Melt the coconut oil together with the peanut butter and honey in a microwave on high power for 40 seconds.
- Quickly stir in the Vitafiber powder until no lumps/crystals remain (apart from the lumps in the crunchy peanut butter!).
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon onto a baking sheet covered in greaseproof paper in 4 medium-sized patties.
- Ensure that the edges of the cookies are sticking together and, if necessary, press them in slightly to stop them falling apart, before baking for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool slightly before enjoying with a glass of cold milk. Delicious!
Need help with your diet? Book in for your own personalised diet plan using the button below.