This recipe was born out of a desperate need for an exciting but healthy weekend brunch. Packed with antioxidants, blueberries make a great addition to this dish which is already rich in choline and healthy fats from the eggs and the seeds in the bread – great for supporting brain function and heart health and the perfect weekend treat.
Healthy French Toast with Blueberry Compote (Serves 1)
1 thick slice granary bread
2 free range eggs
2tbsp skimmed milk
¼ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 heaped tsp finely granulated sweetener of choice
For the compote:
1tbsp soya yoghurt
- Whisk up the eggs with the sweetener, vanilla, milk and cinnamon and pour into a Tupperware box or other suitable dunking container!
- Add the bread into the egg mixture and leave to soak for 1 minute before turning and leaving again to soak.
- Heat a NON-STICK pan on a low heat. Note: It is vital that the pan is non-stick or else you will be left with more scrambled eggy bread! If you don’t have a non-stick pan, coat the surface of the pan with a little coconut oil to help prevent sticking.
- Once hot, carefully add the bread into the pan and cook for 2 minutes, do not move around the pan but you can use the back of a spatula to press it down slightly. Turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes until the egg is golden brown and cooked through.
- In the mean time add the blueberries and honey into a microwave safe pot, heat on high for 1 minute until the berries just start to pop.
- To serve cut the toast in half, spoon over a generous dollop of soya yoghurt and then drizzle over the blueberry compote.