Anti-Inflammatory Lentil and Bean Curry (Serves 3-4)
1tbsp coconut oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground coriander
large pinch black pepper
50g creamed coconut
1 stock cube
1 can green lentils
1 can butter beans
1 can borlotti beans
1tbsp coconut flour OR ground almonds
200g white rice (uncooked weight) to serve.
- Pre-cook ~50g rice per person according to packet instructions.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan on a low heat.
- Add the onions and cook slowly for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes before adding the spices (pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, coriander and cumin).
- Stir continuously and cook out the spices for a couple of minutes.
- Add a little freshly boiled water while you add in the stock cube and creamed coconut, stir together to form a sauce ( you can then add more water to form a runnier sauce ~1L in total should be plenty).
- Cook the sauce out with the onions for around 5 minutes on a low rolling boil before adding in the tinned beans and lentils.
- Stir thoroughly then leave to cook for 10 minutes, checking and stirring regularly.
- Add in 1tbsp coconut flour or ground almonds to thicken the sauce a few minutes before serving but remember to cook out for a few minutes to avoid a gritty texture.
- Serve with a small portion of rice and enjoy the perfect anti-inflammatory, plant-based feast.